28 Jun 2009

Postcards from Middle-Earth

In February 2004 Royal Mail commemorated the 50th anniversary of the publication of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers in 1954 with an issue of a block of 10 x 1st class stamps depicting drawings illustrating locations in the books. All the illustrations are by Tolkien except for the map which is by his son Christopher. Don't you think they are beautiful? I've been thinking about postcard and mail from the Shire today, thinking about how much I would love to be able to visit the place where the Shire and Middle-earth was brought to life by Peter Jackson. It would be a holiday of a lifetime and I would be scared of such a long journey away from familiar surroundings, just like Frodo was before leaving Bag End. Will I ever be able to undertake such long quest in search of the Shire? I hope so, and if I do you can all expect many many many postcards from Middle-Earth!