17 Sep 2009

Isildur and Anárion

(The Argonath - from Lei's Private Collection)

"Behold the Argonath, the Pillars of the Kings!"


Look upon Isildur and Anárion on the Anduin River. The two Argonath standing on pedestals in the water on either side of the Great River. Behind the statues, behold the high cliffs that form a narrow passage where the river pass and bend through before it widen to form the lake called Nen Hithoel. The Argonath are carved out in grey stone in the likenesses of Isildur and Anarion, sons of Elendil. They face north with their left arms raised, palm outward, so look at them fn awe, oh traveller. Built to mark the northern borders of Gondor in the year 1248.

By passing the two giants, Aragorn is no longer a simple ranger of the North. Strider is no more , his destiny is now in front of him.

"Frodo turned and saw Strider, and yet not Strider; for the weathrworn Ranger was no longer there. In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skillful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land." (J.R.R.Tolkien -The Fellowship of the Ring)