1 Nov 2009

I will miss you Gimli son of Glóin

It is with sadness that I have to report today that actor John Rhys-Davies has stated he will probably not be involved in any role in the upcoming The Hobbit movie. He revealed to Empire that he was asked to be part of the new production but decided to turn the offer down.

"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

"It was just a gentle "What would you feel about putting it on again?" But no. I'd be interested in trying to create a different type of persona within... the thing. That is challenging as an actor. I'd really prefer to play something quite different. Maybe an Elf. They've got a different set of problems with The Hobbit because you've got 13 dwarfs, a whole band of them... You're trying to represent a whole race... You're trying to do for dwarfs what The Lord of the Rings did for hobbits. "

Very carefully chosen words by Master Gimli, as you can see he is not completely ruling out going back to Middle-Earth again, although he is not prepared to be " 1 of 13..." which is understandable. Back as an Elf? Not sure about that, and yet it would be fantastic to have the original cast involved in one way or another, I sense there are a lot of mixed emotion going through them at the moment, they have been part of one of the greatest stories ever, their journey in Middle-earth meant so much to them and to millions of people around the world....now the time has come for Middle-earth to open its doors again to a different story, the temptation to go back must be overbearing and scary at the same time....will the magic of The Lord of the Rings be repeated in The Hobbit?