9 Feb 2010

No more wizards for me ? Is Dan Radcliffe ruling himself out ? (maybe not )


And here we are again with the latest Internet rumor about the casting of Bilbo Baggins. So during the night the news started to circulate that Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) has said in an interview that he does not want to be Bilbo Baggins. I would really love to read the 'original' interview in full but as it happen, I cannot find any. Sorry to be so sceptical but the only thing I can find is a small article on a South African movie blog. At the end of the article the author does point in the direction of the Los Angeles Times (but DOES NOT give a direct link), so I went on the LAT and search for a Daniel Radcliffe interview about The Hobbit and nothing came up. This does not mean that the rumor is false, but you can see why I decided to be very careful when reporting it. Dan Radcliffe is saying that he thinks they would not want him for The Hobbit, which is strange - why would a famous actor like him have to make such statements in the first place? Where are the original questions asked to him ? The article ends with a very old quote (August 2009) attributed to Radcliffe about James McAvoy:

"James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with The Chronicles of Narnia, of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either." (D.Radcliffe (?))


Excuse my scepticism but I will believe Daniel Radcliffe has ruled himself out only when I read an 'official' statement from him or from The Hobbit Production team giving the name of the actor that will play Bilbo Baggins. Just a thought: is this a case of "nothing is really happening lets make something up by resurrecting some old quotes ?" . Ohh well, we shall see...time for second breakfast now :)