24 Apr 2010

A Hobbit's Night Out In London- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Live At The Royal Albert Hall


Last year I was lucky enough to get tickets for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings at the Royal Albert Hall in London and immediately after that performance decided I was going to experience the second chapter of this thrilling epic trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Tower. Howard Shore's score performed live on stage by the London Philharmonics Orchestra, conducted by Ludwig Wicki, to a high definition cinematic screening of the film....simply an amazing and unique way to enjoy Middle-Earth. Last night I packed my bag, grabbed my pipe and put on my cloak and made the journey to Mordor...I mean to London, to get to the Royal Albert Hall.

"The train approaching platform 1 is the 16,45 from Hobbiton to Mordor - stopping at Bree, Rivendell Imladris, Moria Khazad-dum,Lorien, Isengard, Helm's Deep, Black Gate to Mordor, and Mount Doom Station, where this train will terminate.Mind the gap (and the orcs) between the train and the platform edge."

Not many hobbits down in London town...and even Elves were in short supply but I had a great time , so much so I already bought a ticket for The Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King's performance in September even though I will be probably jet-lagged as I am coming back from New Zealand in the same week ....volcanic ash permitting .


Evening went from 'fantastic' to 'superb' soon after the performance ended when I happened to meet Mr Howard Shore in person...well I can tell you he is tall (or maybe I am short ? I am a hobbit after all), he is kind and he complimented my hobbitish apparel , which was very nice of him. We had a few polite words and then I had to go as I had to catch the last train to Hobbiton . I could not stop looking at his hands and think they are the hands that composed Middle-Earth and transformed Tolkien's words and Peter Jackson's images into beautiful and enchanted musical notes.









While walking up the Hill under a sky filled with stars with The Lord of the Rings music still in my ears I smiled and remembered Samwise Gamgee's words for Frodo, that suddenly made so much sense to me...

"I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something..... That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for!"