15 Sep 2010

The charm of a dark Lord of the Rings in Finnish

Today I came across (via io9.com) an old and very intriguing version of The Lord of the Rings in Finnish entitled Hobitit. This was a nine-part Finnish television series, from 1993, of J.R.R Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Narrated by Sam, that covers the whole trilogy. I must admit I really like the sound of the Finnish language , I remember once a friend from Finland telling me how Finnish is one of the most difficult languages to learn, yet somehow to me, it does sound familiar. Professor Tolkien was a scholar with a deep knowledge of old languages. Tolkien's Quenya (the language of the High Elves), was inspired by Finnish. Tolkien taught himself Finnish in order to read the Kalevala, a 19Th-century compilation of old Finnish songs and stories .

Personally I enjoyed watching this old Finnish version of The Lord of the Rings, which really look great considering it was a low-budget production. I like the 'dark' atmosphere, and the acting is really good. Here is part 1 with English subtitles, enjoy!